The Story of Cornelle Part I

Posted on Friday, September 27th, 2013.

Crossroads Animal Clinic would like to tell the story of a Scottish Terrier named Cornelle. We hope you enjoy the story as much as we enjoyed meeting him and his family.

It all started on Wednesday, August the 28th at about 4pm. The phone rings with Mrs. Mays inquiring about the cost for hospitalizing a dog on IV catheter and fluids. We quickly asked Mrs. Mays what was going on with Cornelle. She explained that she had taken Cornelle to another clinic and they  wanted to keep him for treatment of an infection. We went over an estimate over the phone with her and advised her that there could be a possibility of having to send her and Cornelle to an emergency clinic if we exhausted all of our efforts, but we would be more than happy to offer a second opinion. With that, Mrs. Mays said she would be by in about 30 minutes. During that time, we called the other veterinary clinic and received the records on Cornelle.  After we received the records, Dr. Purcell begin to review them. On paper, Cornell seemed to be very ill, but only with an examination would we be able to make a proper diagnosis.

When Mrs. Mays arrived with Cornelle on leash, it was obvious he did not feel well.  We quickly got him into a room and began our examination. Just petting him caused Cornelle to vomit. Upon conversing with Mrs. Mays we found out that the vomiting had been going on for quite some time. The first account of it was a month prior. We then decided we needed to run in-house lab work. We took Cornelle to the treatment area, drew his blood, and quickly started the labs. The bloodwork confirmed our assumptions. We needed to start him on IV fluids and keep him overnight. Mrs. Mays waited for her husband to meet her at the clinic, they both said goodnight to Cornelle and we told them we would be in touch with them in the morning.  We placed  the IV catheter and started the fluids. The next morning Dr. Minton examined Cornelle and reviewed all the labs we did the night before. She decided to continue diagnostics with x-rays and ultrasound. X-ray showed one of the largest stomachs Dr. Minton has ever seen. It was so big it was pressing on the other organs and had to be very painful for Cornelle.  We then  set up Cornelle for the ultrasound. It showed lots of movement inside the stomach, with small particles swirling about. It almost resembled a snow globe. Dr. Minton decided that these images needed to be sent to Animal Diagnostics for a radiologist to review. Once the radiologist reviewed the images, she advised Dr. Minton,  that in her professional opinion, it looked like a foreign body and we needed to remove it as soon as possible. Dr. Minton called Mr. and Mrs. Mays to let them know the report and they okayed surgery.

To be continued………

Check back next week for Cornelle’s thrilling conclusion!!!